New Today: 1
    New Yesterday: 0
    Overall: 580

People Online:
    Visitors: 0
    Members: 0
    Total: 0

sonicbomb.com :: View topic - First Leslie Nielsen, now Sam Cohen :(

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
    View previous topic
    x-127
    Franklin Prime (5 kt)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:46 am Reply with quote

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm devastated. Perhaps, at least, this will provide some impetus for the release of the VCE documentary.
    Mack Bolan
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote

Just saw this. Shame Kuran wasn't able to finish his doc on him. Hopefully he shot all of the interview footage and can piece it together at a future date.

Sam Cohen dies
    Teller25
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote

Sad indeed. He has nothing to do with Nielsen but still...

I read the most fascinating story of Sam's life last year. I can't remember exactly where I found it but it is a book written by him and I read it from a complete pdf availabe online. I don't know if I have already posted it here or not but I don't t think so!

He wrote that his mother was absolutely insane and thought her children were going to die of bowel constipation, so she made him drink laxatives all day long from childhood to, I believe well into his college years, and he would soil himself every single day in front of everybody, so that made him want to "seek revenge" as he put it and make him devise a weapon that would make people's guts come out of every hole in their bodies.

Later he tells his experience through the Manhattan project and makes one of the best and most sincere narratives of the Cold War ever.

He makes obvious to the reader that this "War" was just and nothing more than a multi-Billion dollar business for the arms industries and the politicians they supported, and had very little or nothing to do with politics or the balance of world power as most people thought.

When he offered his new weapon to all the Generals and manufacturers on the defense and political stablishments it was not its effects, battlefield applications or political repercusions they asked Cohen about, but the ONLY factor they wanted to know is how much did it cost.

He always got rejected because they saw no economic advantage for them in simply manufacturing a small and cheap modified thermonuclear warhead, they told him something like : we won't profit from this thing at all, it costs only a little fraction of the delivery systems we are manufacturing now, don't be ridiculous, when you can come up with a new, extravagant and expensive delivery system you come back to see us, this thing is useless for us....

So it was not about weapons effects but the profit in making them what drove the defense policy all along, and he explais it very well. It is no secret that war is a big bussines but to see it so directly is shocking.

We will miss Sam.

Last edited by Teller25 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
    sonicbomb
    Forum Admin
    Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 am Reply with quote

I should imagine that this is the final nail in Kurans project.

Teller25 wrote:
    He makes obvious to the reader that this "War" was just and nothing more than a multi-Billion dollar business for the arms industries and the politics they supported, and had very little or nothing to do with politics or the balance of world power as most people thought.

This is still the case to this day...
    fastfission
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote

Teller25 wrote:

I read the most fascinating story of Sam's life last year. I can't remember exactly where I found it but it is a book written by him and I read it from a complete pdf availabe online. I don't know if I have already posted it here or not but I don't t think so!

I think this may have been the 2006 "F**k you Mr President: Confessions of the father of the Neutron Bomb" PDF. I may have found it here or on the old Atomic Forum site. I still have it if anyone wants it, a 1Mb file, 288 pages. Essential reading...
    Mack Bolan
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote

sonicbomb wrote:
    I should imagine that this is the final nail in Kurans project...

Maybe. If he's already filmed the interview part at least he can fill in the rest fairly easily.
    x-127
    Franklin Prime (5 kt)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote

sonicbomb wrote:
    I should imagine that this is the final nail in Kurans project.

You don't think there's any chance the History Channel or someone like that will pick it up?
    x-127
    Franklin Prime (5 kt)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote

... assuming, of course, that it is just a matter of getting the money to push it through and that the interviews have already been shot.

View next topic
    View previous topic